Each course has its own final exam or project and there is no comprehensive program exam. However, as an accredited school students take the Measure of Academic Progress (MAP) assessment every year. This exam is taken at home and does not affect individual course grades but provides a baseline for student academic growth. Students are officially promoted when all course grades are passing and the MAP is completed.

How exactly does your program work?

First, you speak with an enrollment counselor. After this step, you fill out the enrollment paperwork. Mail or e-mail this paperwork to us. Within 3 business days of us receiving your paperwork, we will send you your course instructions. All of the work is completed online, through our secure website.

Once you start submitting work, your grades and any feedback will be posted on the same website. We manage your records, handle transcripts, and provide you with any guidance needed.

Is there a comprehensive program exam?

We use the portfolio method of evaluation for course work.  That is, all coursework is submitted online for evaluation and grades are assigned according to the quality of the submitted lessons. As an accredited school all students must take an academic assessment in Reading and Math at the end of every grade level. Currently we use the Measurement of Academic Progress (MAP). The exam is online and does not affect final course grades.For additional information refer to the Policies and Procedures document available in the Document Download Center. 

How often should I send in the work?

Students should log into their accounts on a regular basis and submit assignments regularly. Students who are absent academically for 45 days may be dropped from the program. The school should be notified of any necessary or extended absences before such absences occur.

What type of curriculum does your school use?

We have developed most of our own curriculum, based on State of Florida standards. Certified teachers in every subject area contributed to this development.

All of our lessons are available online are are accessible 24 hours a day.

Will others automatically know that this is a distance education school?

Your diploma does not state that The Ogburn School is a distance education institution. However, please be aware that distance education is increasingly popular, and that you are enrolling in an alternative school that is established and meets both state requirements for operation and is regionally accredited. If you are successful in distance education you should be proud of yourself!

If I return to a traditional classroom in a local high school, will I be able to transfer these courses?

The Ogburn School  is accredited by:

  • Accreditation International (Ai)
  • AdvancEd – Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Accreditation and School Improvement (SACS CASI)
  • Middle States Association Commissions on Elementary and Secondary Schools (MSA-CESS)
  • National Council for Private School Accreditation (NCPSA).

In addition, The Ogburn School follows the State of Florida course numbering system, curriculum frameworks and performance standards. Therefore, our courses correspond in both description and number, making it easier for public and private institutions to determine which courses will transfer. Some of our students have successfully returned to traditional public educational institutions. Each school has its own policies about course transfer.

Is Ogburn Home School a GED program?

No. The GED is earned by taking a series of tests administered by an authorized testing agent. Our diploma is a credit diploma granted by a private school.

How long does it take to complete the program?

This depends on how many courses you already have completed elsewhere and how quickly you complete each course.

How do I know how many courses I have to transfer?

When your transcript is returned to us, we evaluate which courses will transfer into your program. It is our policy to transfer courses that coordinate in name, number, and/or description if the transcript is sent on school letterhead and is verifiable by our director.

When do I receive my diploma?

Diplomas are sent within 45 days after course completion and financial obligations are met.

Can I go to college with your diploma?

Yes, many of our students continue on to postsecondary education. You can apply to the college of your choice, but please remember, you must pass entrance or placement exams at most colleges.

Can I join the military?

Each branch of the military has it’s own requirements. You must make a certain score on the Armed Services Vocational Aptitude Battery (ASVAB) test and meet other physical and/or age requirements. You may need to complete a semester of college or technical school. Check with your local recruiter.


Fill in your info and an Admissions Adviser will call you shortly!

"*" indicates required fields

This field is for validation purposes and should be left unchanged.